All in one place: a compendium of resources on the open web for those interested in exploring American literature’s best-kept secret.[caption id="attachment_736" align="aligncenter" width="236"] Joseph McElroy photographed by Steve Hall. From page 235 of Anything Can Happen: Interviews With Contemporary American Novelists (conducted and edited by Larry McCaffrey and Tom LeClair; Champaign: U of IL P, 1983).[/caption]
Official website (http://www.josephmcelroy.com/)
See site for a full McElroy biography. Available gems from Reading Room and Essays are: ‘Neural Neighborhoods and Other Concrete Abstracts,’ an essay written while McElroy was in the thick of Lookout Cartridge (Triquarterly, 1974). ‘9/11: Emerging’ (2001), ‘Attractions around Mt. St. Helens’ (ebr, 1997), ‘Thoughts about Consciousness While Cutting in the Brain’ (Shambhala Sun, Sep 2004), and these essays on water: ‘Water on Us’ (ebr, 2010), ‘If It Could Be Wrapped’ (ebr, 2004).
McElroy on Twitter (@watrwake)
‘What can happen?’. Short essay by McElroy on his use of inquiry and interrogative narrative forms. (the story prize blog, Nov 2011)
- 2012, Nov 5: ‘self-interrupted’ reading of parts of Cannonball, the water book, etc. at the New School
- 2012 (video): reading ‘I Ask’ at the book launch for While We Were Sleeping: NYU and the Destruction of New York
- 2011 (video): in conversation as a ‘visiting artist’ at a CalArts’s MFA session
- 2011: reading ‘The Campaign Trail’ from Night Soul & Other Stories (scroll to episode #229)
- 2011 conversation w/Michael Silverblatt of Bookworm, for Night Soul…
- 2010 conversation w/Joshua Cohen at Triple Canopy
- 2010 conversation w/Harry Mathews at Triple Canopy (poor audio quality)
- 2003 conversation w/Michael Silverblatt of Bookworm, for Actress in the House (1/2)
- 2003 conversation w/Michael Silverblatt of Bookworm (2/2)
- 2003 coverage w/Steve Inskeep of NPR, for Actress in the House
Trey Strecker’s fall 2003 RAIN TAXI interview, “Failure. Building. Embrace.”
Taji Maheen’s July 2013 Vice Magazine interview, “Postmodernism and Sumo Wrestlers: An Interview with Joseph McElroy.”
Jason DeYoung’s Dec 2013 interview in Numéro Cinq Magazine, “Sentences are like Home for Me, Even a Wilderness.”
Reviews and appreciations
‘The lost postmodernist,’ by Garth Risk Hallberg; a review of Women and Men for LA Times book review
‘On Joseph McElroy’; short review (tales from the reading room weblog, Jan 2012)
Journal issues dedicated to McElroy
With contributions from Rick Moody, Flore Chevaillier, Mike Heppner, Andrew Walser.
All posts on this site about Joseph McElroy are archived here.